History of Ted C. Sullivan Funeral Home
T. P. Sullivan founded T. P. Sullivan and Sons Funeral Home in 1898 after seeing a need for a funeral home that would provide value, integrity, and service. The funeral home was located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Detroit that consisted of many Hungarian immigrants. T. P. operated the local movie theater in Del Ray as well entertaining at various functions as a ventriloquist.
In early 1900, the firm moved to Grand River Ave. west of West Grand Blvd. At that time funerals were conducted in the home so the funeral home operated out of a storefront
T. P. had four children A. Leonard, Richard J. Ted C., and Ignatius. The firm expanded and Richard became the company attorney, while the three others became funeral directors in separate locations in Detroit. A. Leonard operated a branch on Dexter and Whitney, Ted C. operated the branch on W. Nicholas in Detroit and Ignatius continued to run the Grand River location. All three branches consolidated into the W. McNichols branch in the late 50's.
In 1950, John J. O'Brien joined the firm as an apprentice. John J. graduated from Wayne University Department of Mortuary Science in 1958 as a Board Certified Funeral Director. John was promoted to manager of the newest branch located on Fenkell and Greenfield in the northwest neighborhood of Detroit. In 1970, Ted C. Sullivan died and John J. O'Brien assumed the role of president.
In 1973, the property for a new facility in Novi was purchased. The construction of the new modern facility was begun in1975. In May of 1976, the new facility was opened under the name, The O'Brien Chapel/Ted C. Sullivan Funeral Home, and began serving Novi and the surrounding communities. Bridget O'Brien joined the staff as office manager in 1978. In 1986, John P. O'Brien joined the staff after graduating from Wayne State University.
Recognizing a need for continuing care of the families and community, in 1985, the funeral home began their aftercare program. This monthly program is designed to inform and educate those experiencing a loss on their journey through grief. Dr. Michael Meyer D. Min. facilitates this program.
The funeral home and staff are active in many community programs and events in Novi and surrounding communities. The O'Brien / Sullivan Funeral Home continue the tradition started by T. P. Sullivan of providing families with the most personalized service possible in their time of need. We are committed to the traditions of caring, compassion, and concern started over a hundred years ago by T. P. Sullivan